Seniors Boomer Rumours

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Location Map

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics

» Poet's Corner
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 7:03 pm by daffyd

» Wuzfuz and his music
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyThu May 11, 2017 3:02 pm by Willows

» The world's Most Beautiful Horse
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 18, 2017 1:49 pm by Glad E Olah

» Loads of Laughs
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 6:32 pm by daffyd

» Gerraway!
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 6:05 pm by daffyd

» Daffyd's Video Shack
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2016 6:18 pm by daffyd

» Pompeii - Eruption of Mt Vesuvius
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2016 7:35 pm by daffyd

» About Religion.
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2016 8:19 pm by daffyd

» A Farmer of our time
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 6:53 pm by daffyd

» Our Sun is Beautiful
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 10:24 pm by islandgrl

» Spiced Beverage
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 12:00 am by islandgrl

» TEA BAGS
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 11:53 pm by islandgrl

» It's That Time Again
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 10:02 pm by islandgrl

» Thanksgiving Poem
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyThu Nov 26, 2015 11:15 am by Glad E Olah

» Guevedoces
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 1:27 pm by Glad E Olah

» DESIDERATA
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyTue Jul 14, 2015 5:57 pm by daffyd

» Ruby Shoes
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 1:41 am by islandgrl

» Insane
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 1:25 am by islandgrl

» Glad's 2015 Garden
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 10:28 pm by Glad E Olah

» Facts of which you are unaware!
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 7:17 pm by daffyd

» THE BACK NINE!
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 7:33 pm by daffyd

» Daffyd's Disco
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 7:05 pm by Windwalker

» Where Are They Now?
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 2:38 pm by Windwalker

» Ye Olde Photo Shoppe
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 2:36 pm by Windwalker

» Glass Totems
Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 12:08 am by islandgrl

+3
oceanna
fargo
islandgrl
7 posters

Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats

fargo
    fargo

Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 Empty Re: Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats

Post by fargo Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi Windwalker:

The URL is not working like it should as there are 54 pictures. Perhaps you could type the URL in the address and see if that would work better. Will try it again

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91415110@N07/
    Windwalker
    Windwalker

Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats - Page 9 Empty Re: Fargo's Fotos & Friendly Chats

Post by Windwalker Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:55 pm

A fantastic slideshow Fargo, thanks for sharing that. I love photos/pics on forums. It makes it so much more like you are living what the person is sharing.
    fargo
    fargo

Post by fargo Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:36 am

Hi Windwalker:

I am so glad that you got to see my pictures. Now I just hope that my other friends, Oceanna and Willows might happen to come along and also see them. As a young man I worked as a radio operator and weather observer in some pretty remote places in northern Quebec. In a way it was a lonely time with few people to talk to, so I spent a lot of time observing and photographing 'nature'. I had a 35mm Argus C3 then, quite primitive by today's standards with the maximum speed of three hundredth of a second. Alas only the Kodachromes have survived. Some scenes are from the east coast of Hudson Bay in winter and summer, and the slides have been scanned into the computer.
    Stephen

Windwalker
    Windwalker

Post by Windwalker Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:38 pm

Very nice Fargo, I am hoping some of them will pop in and you can start sharing once again. I'm not sure which type of radio operator you were referring to, but I am a licensed Amateur Radio Operator since about 1984 or so.

I only have a Canon Digital that I bought about 6 years ago but still like it. MOst cell phones have more megapixels than my camera (which is just 6mp) but I like it. It is a Digital SLR so I like the time lapse I can do and stuff.
    fargo
    fargo

Post by fargo Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi Windwalker:

We have more in common than one would suspect when you mention 'ham' radio. But first I will answer your question about being a radio operator. In my youth one could train as a radio operator and find work on a ship or with the Federal government. I chose the latter and worked at airports (Aeronautical), coast stations (Marine), and land stations as an operator and weather observer.

I was also a licensed amateur for a short time way back when. Then I became interested in it again just lately and got my license re-instated Ve3nsm and listen in mostly to the 'Net' of the local amateur club on 2 meters. I also try to keep my code up by listening to the practice sessions of W1aw. Who was it that said- 'it is indeed a small world' 73.

Last edited by fargo on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Windwalker
    Windwalker

Post by Windwalker Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:23 pm

Yes it is a small world Stephen. I listen to the locals on 2 meters here also. I don't have an HF Rig at the moment. We just moved to a smaller place due to financial and health reasons. We went from our large 2400 Sq Ft place with 5 acres, to a rental that is about 850 sq ft. Blue:(

I have my 7 element 2 meter beam pointed in one direction (towards local repeater) on a pole out back on the porch. I left my 40' Rohn Tower as after my mild stroke I could find not one to take it down. I had my BIL climb up on a rare non-lazy day of his and take the rotor down for me.

I have been thinking of moving back to the country and getting back into HF with a wire antenna and find me a Rig. Radio has dried up in my area, hardly anyone on 2 meters except at night and early mornings.

I had a Ham Radio section on my forum for a short time, but not enough interest from the locals at the time. I may try to revive it this Summer. Great to meet another Ham out here.

Ron,
    73's N4WTU
    fargo
    fargo

Post by fargo Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi Windwalker:

We had company yesterday so could not get near the computer. Thank you for telling me more about yourself. I hope and pray that your health concerns may be brought under control.

I got my ham license about 10 years ago, about the time a friend gave me his old computer. Before that I mainly listened i.e. was an SWL (short wave listener). As my skill with the computer improved and I started playing with pictures, ham radio had to take a back seat. I do have an old CW rig the Heathkit HW-7 (hot water 7) which is a QRP low power rig on 40, 20 and 15 meters. I have a lovely brass key and a Vibroplex 'bug' and had hoped to get some qso's on forty.

About that time I too had health problems and had triple by-pass heart surgery. So that put the ky-bosh on any strenuous activity such as installing a sky-hook for the CW rig. Instead for a listening antenna I made an Arnie Coro broomstick special (Cuba amateur radio pogram). He recommends using No 16 PVC plastic covered household wire or as a second choice NO 18 'speaker wire' wound as a long coil on a broomstick, and suspended from the ceiling. It works very well for a receiving antenna and takes up little space. There is little space in my small city lot for a proper antenna, and I don't want to go to a tower now at this stage in the game. ((Arnie Coro broomstick antenna in Search brings up the information on construction).

Just finished helping my dear wife Betty (52 years of marriage) to peel some potatoes for the crockpot to add to a beef stew that she is making for supper.

73's de Stephen ve3nsm
    Windwalker
    Windwalker

Post by Windwalker Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Beef Stew sounds great, and I have the same job here peeling the potatoes for her.

I have pulled up the links for the broomstick and will try that out. I am going to try to do some horse trading soon with a Ham buddy and try to talk him out of one of his Rigs. I have an Alliance Rotor HD-73 that should help, and some other misc stuff left over from a few years ago.

I like slow CW and still remember my first contact in my log I keep in my desk. I have tried Packet long time ago, but I think they have far out stripped me and too far ahead for the learning curve to be worth it now. I'll stick to voice if I get back in.

We have 2 meter in the area, and I have my mobile set up as a base here in the room, but no one hardly talks anymore except in early mornings going to work, or Friday evenings when we have a "Hooty Owl Net" at 10PM CDT.

I'm enjoying the chats here. I may get with my friend in town that has a repeater, and try to start a small section back up in my forum again. :)
    fargo
    fargo

Post by fargo Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi Windwalker:

You are the only person who has commented on my pictures so no one else it seems has found them yet. (Hint-hint- pls click on the URL in my first message above and click on slide-show and maximize). If only people could find them, that should take care of the picture side of the discussion for awhile. Also I am wondering what management thinks of us talking about Amateur Radio on here? I had the title of the discussion amended to include Friendly Chats awhile ago when I started running out of pictures and started talking on here. If they object we could go to Email or somewhere else.

Ron, there is a limit as to what to talk about in 'haming'. As you can see I am not an active amateur and am not up on all of the latest trends and equipment. I suscribe to a Canadian publication called The Canadian Amateur, which has some interesing information in it. So I am not a dyed-in-the-wool amateur that lives and breathes 'haming' like some people I know.

I have an amateur friend who is an electrical engineer (he gave me his old computer and helped me to get my licence back). He arranged for me to have a Kenwood 2 meter transceiver the (TM-2550A), and he refurbished my old 2 meter antenna that is mounted in my garage. It has a halo configuration and seems to be effective up there as I can hit several repeaters in my area.

I noticed that you have listed computers, Forums and poetry as some of your interests. When I was still able to garden, that was a great interest of mine, and playing with pictures on the computer is a close second. So between us there is quite a choice of subjects to talk about on here, if anyone would like to join us. Don't get me wrong I do appreciate that you have talked to me, it is just that I am looking at the big picture.

73's de Stephen ve3nsm
    Windwalker
    Windwalker

Post by Windwalker Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:27 pm

I agree, I'm not a died in the wool Ham either,

I actually forgot this was Photo's and Chat. My apologies. I'm sure that Admin's won't mind us chatting about anything we like as that is activity. I need to get my camera out and do some pictures more.

We'll scratch around and see if we can get in some other areas here in the forum and learn some stuff from Durgan, who is light years ahead of me in plant/gardening. I do not have a green thumb, but hope to grow some simple vegetables this year like I did a couple years ago.
    Glad E Olah
    Glad E Olah
    Admin

Post by Glad E Olah Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:55 am

Nice to see your return Fargo!

I have always enjoyed your beautiful pictures.
    fargo
    fargo

Post by fargo Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:23 am

Hi Glad E Olah:

Thank you for your kind remarks. It is the best I can do at this time. Now if only Oceanna and Willows would happen to come by and see them. I would be happy.
    Glad E Olah
    Glad E Olah
    Admin

Post by Glad E Olah Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:20 pm

I can let Oceanna know at Shout Around The World if you like. Or you can send them both a pm here.

I hope we can get Boomers running at a faster pace. I am guilty of neglect myself. Sad
    fargo
    fargo

Post by fargo Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:59 am

Hi Windwalker:

I don't know if it is the same down your way, but up here in Toronto Canada, the local Amateur Radio Club puts on a hamfest or fleamarket each spring. They rent space in a huge building at the fairgrounds and install rows and rows of tables. There are people selling radios, electronics and computers, and all sorts of things related to the hobby. The dealers are there too, offering discounts on new equipment. The equipment builders have a field day looking over the used equipment and picking up parts that they need.

It is truly a fun place and a fun time. The members of the radio clubs are bound to show up with their call letters prominantly displaced and they greet both old and new friends with lots of enthousiasm. The ladies have been busy making tea and coffee and sandwiches and burgers and hot dogs. There is usually a draw or two and for a small fee you can get your name put in a draw.

I wish I could quote the amateur's creed but it goes something like this, a radio amateur is friendly and resourceful and a willing helper if needed by his community.

73's de Stephen ve3nsm
    Windwalker
    Windwalker

Post by Windwalker Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Yes, we have a big one here yearly, and there is one about 70 miles from me March 4th but gas is so high at $3.55 this morning I doubt I will make it up there. Lots of neat stuff though!
    fargo
    fargo

Post by fargo Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:13 am

Hi Windwalker:

It has been such a long time since we talked. It doesn't mean that I have forgotten you. I often wonder how you are and what you have been doing?

We are technically into Spring but as recently as yesterday we had some snow falling. Then the temperature went up and it all melted. I have some daffodils out in my back yard and with the first warm day, the forsythia bushes will burst into bloom.

You have been a good friend with all your comments in the past. I hope that our friendship will continue.
    Windwalker
    Windwalker

Post by Windwalker Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:21 pm

Hello Fargo, good to see you. We are trying to get into Spring here too. Cold one week then warm the next.

I'm always around, I have missed a day or so getting around to forums, but I am usually around on the second day, so just jump in and drop me a note anytime.

I look forward to your pictures, and if we get off subject onto something else, I'm sure they will let you start another topic.
    fargo
    fargo

Post by fargo Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi Windwalker:

Thank you for your reply. It was good to hear from you.

I have been looking at Durgan's Garden Journal for the first time. It hardly seems possible that here is a talented Canadian gardener who has been posting beautiful pictures and information on here and I never noticed it before until I saw his URL and clicked on it.

Pictures are a sad story, I never heard if my old site has ever recovered from the damage that was done to them, and if they ever got up and running again. I put a few pictures on Flickr for folks to look at.
    fargo
    fargo

Post by fargo Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Hi Windwalker and Others:

Just to let you know that my absence was not intentional on here, I have been ill since June with a severe arthritis problem in my legs. Spent some time in the hospital and now going to rehab for exercises. Still using a walker to get around.
    Windwalker
    Windwalker

Post by Windwalker Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:24 pm

So sorry to hear that Fargo, glad that you are able to get around a little bit. Take it real easy and let us know how your doing fella.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 5:34 pm