Seniors Boomer Rumours

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Location Map

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics

» Poet's Corner
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 7:03 pm by daffyd

» Wuzfuz and his music
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyThu May 11, 2017 3:02 pm by Willows

» The world's Most Beautiful Horse
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptySat Mar 18, 2017 1:49 pm by Glad E Olah

» Loads of Laughs
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 6:32 pm by daffyd

» Gerraway!
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 6:05 pm by daffyd

» Daffyd's Video Shack
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyMon Aug 01, 2016 6:18 pm by daffyd

» Pompeii - Eruption of Mt Vesuvius
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyFri Mar 25, 2016 7:35 pm by daffyd

» About Religion.
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyThu Mar 24, 2016 8:19 pm by daffyd

» A Farmer of our time
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 6:53 pm by daffyd

» Our Sun is Beautiful
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 10:24 pm by islandgrl

» Spiced Beverage
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 12:00 am by islandgrl

» TEA BAGS
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 11:53 pm by islandgrl

» It's That Time Again
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 10:02 pm by islandgrl

» Thanksgiving Poem
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyThu Nov 26, 2015 11:15 am by Glad E Olah

» Guevedoces
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 1:27 pm by Glad E Olah

» DESIDERATA
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyTue Jul 14, 2015 5:57 pm by daffyd

» Ruby Shoes
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 1:41 am by islandgrl

» Insane
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 1:25 am by islandgrl

» Glad's 2015 Garden
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 10:28 pm by Glad E Olah

» Facts of which you are unaware!
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 7:17 pm by daffyd

» THE BACK NINE!
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 7:33 pm by daffyd

» Daffyd's Disco
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 7:05 pm by Windwalker

» Where Are They Now?
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 2:38 pm by Windwalker

» Ye Olde Photo Shoppe
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 2:36 pm by Windwalker

» Glass Totems
Dehydrated Fruit Leather EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 12:08 am by islandgrl

4 posters

Dehydrated Fruit Leather

Durgan
    Durgan

Dehydrated Fruit Leather Empty Dehydrated Fruit Leather

Post by Durgan Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:47 am

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ISHFU 3 February 2012 Dehydrated Fruit Leather.
    The Excalibur Dehydrator was received,(3900W Excalibur Dehydrator-9 Tray Large White) and my first attempt at making fruit leather was undertaken. Fruit was purchased from the local Supermarket, since this is off season for my area. The fruit was washed and seeds removed. The desired parts were put through a Champion Juicer to remove as much liquid as possible. The portion for making the leather was homogenized using a hand blender, then spread evenly on the dehydrator trays., divided into portions, and sprayed with ascorbic acid to assist in retaining colour of the fruit.Fruit was placed in the Excalibur Dehydrator. The dehydrator set to 135F (57C)for 8 hours for a beginning.The liquid removed by the Champion Juicer is excellent.

After the top of the leather is dry, (about four hours) it is flipped over and placed on the more open sheet to facilitate drying. Drying is difficult,since there is no air movement on the underside of the leather. The upper most side was sprayed with ascorbic acid and water solution.

The fruit leather sheets are plastic supplied by the manufacturer of the dehydrator. I will get some parchment paper for experimenting when the next effort is undertaken. The leather drying sheet must be solid to prevent dripping of the thick liquid material, when first applied.

The finished product is slightly tart and is reasonably flexible.Time taken to dehydrate about eight hours. For longer term storage probably another two hours would make the slices completely dry.
    Glad E Olah
    Glad E Olah
    Admin

Dehydrated Fruit Leather Empty Re: Dehydrated Fruit Leather

Post by Glad E Olah Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:00 pm

I like the taste of fruit leathers but stray away from the commercially made ones because of the sugar content. Does the homemade dried leathers turn to a lot of sugar?

Thanks Durgan. Your recipe looks so tempting.
    Durgan
    Durgan

Post by Durgan Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:34 pm

Glad E Olah wrote:I like the taste of fruit leathers but stray away from the commercially made ones because of the sugar content. Does the homemade dried leathers turn to a lot of sugar?

Thanks Durgan. Your recipe looks so tempting.

I add nothing to the leather. Probably much of the sugar is removed by the method of juicing prior to dehydration.

I don't have sugar, meaning anything resembling sugar in the house, since I tend to be addicted to it. I do use a bit of molasses with soy beans when cooking for colour mostly. About the only condiment used is ketchup for the regular beans.

Salt I never use in anything, except a splash of soy sauce on some things.

Experimentation is still under way with the leathers. Today a mixture of apples, pears, and a piece of pineapple is being dehydrated. They will be vacuum packed in a jar or plastic bag. I wont to introduce them to the small children of one of my daughters.

It is a bad time of year, since I have to buy all the produce. I want some experience so the Summer produce can be utilized.
    oceanna
    oceanna

Post by oceanna Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:08 pm

Durgan wrote:
    Experimentation is still under way with the leathers. Today a mixture of apples, pears, and a piece of pineapple is being dehydrated. They will be vacuum packed in a jar or plastic bag. I wont to introduce them to the small children of one of my daughters.

They would make a good addition to children's school lunch boxes.
    Hope you little grandchildren like them.
    With all the fruit they should be very tasty.

islandgrl
    islandgrl
    Admin

Post by islandgrl Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:13 pm

I have a dehydrator and should use it more. I had so many apples last fall I was giving away. Will try your recipe durgan. I am really enjoying my applesauce. One of the best desserts with no sugar added.
    Durgan
    Durgan

Post by Durgan Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:33 pm

islandgrl wrote:I have a dehydrator and should use it more. I had so many apples last fall I was giving away. Will try your recipe durgan. I am really enjoying my applesauce. One of the best desserts with no sugar added.

I use the apple sauce, juiced, to make some of the more sour juices palatable.I add a bit of apple juice in the drinking glass.Cranberry and Quince for example. It is astonishing just how sweet apples are cooked, more so if one doesn't use any added sugar to anything.
    Durgan
    Durgan

Post by Durgan Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:58 pm

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?MNFCF 4 February 2012 Fruit Leather. Apple, Pear Pineapple
    New ingredients were purchased to make fruit leather. Apple, Pear and half a Pineapple. The fruit was juiced to remove moisture, mixed and dehydrated at 57C for about six hours.The juice is excellent. The end product is most pleasant, relatively sweet, a bit flexible. Hopefully, it will be a nutritional snack replacement for children. If lemon is added the taste is too tart for young palates. The end product was stored in a vacuum sealed jar and a plastic vacuum sealed bag.
    Durgan
    Durgan

Post by Durgan Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:59 pm

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?GYICS 5 February 2012 Dehydrating fruit and making fruit leather.
    Peaches, plums, banana, Kiwi, and squash were purchased to make fruit leather.The squash was chosen to add more fibre, and was cooked in the microwave.All the fruit was washed and cut into pieces, then made into a slurry with the hand blender. The slurry was spread on the dehydrator sheets.

The upper surface was sprayed with ascorbic acid, about a tablespoon in a litre of water to enhance fruit colour. The sheets were placed in the dehydrator at 57C for about ten hours. Time is determined by monitoring the product periodically.The end product should be dry and slightly flexible, subjective to some degree.

The finished product is vacuum packed to store at room temperature, and may be placed in the refrigerator for longer term storage. This process is another method of preserving produce.The overall objective is to reduce dependence on commercial processed food, and to make nourishing snacks. The effort is experimental to get prepared for home production, during the Summer garden season. With practice the finished product will eventually be standard size, and a pleasing appearance.
    Glad E Olah
    Glad E Olah
    Admin

Post by Glad E Olah Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:07 am

Yummy.
    Durgan
    Durgan

Post by Durgan Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:03 pm

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?VBPOO 6 February 2012. Finalizing Method of Producing Fruit Leather

Fruit leather was made, finalizing the method. It turned out perfectly. Thirty dollars of produce was purchased. It was washed, made into a slurry using the hand blender and counter blender. An acorn squash, cooked, was added to increase the fibre content. The slurry was placed on the solid sheet, sprayed with ascorbic acid about one tablespoon in a litre of water, and placed in the dehydrator, set to 57C for 12 hours.The leather was removed from the solid sheets, which was effortless, at about 8 hours, and place on the open mesh sheets to improve drying and further dehydrated. Completion was determined subjectively upon checking periodically. The leather was vacuum packed for storage, some in plastic, and some in a jar. This is the final testing effort and the method will be used in the Summer, when abundant produce is in season.
    oceanna
    oceanna

Post by oceanna Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:01 pm

That looks so good Durgan!
    If I lived closer I'd order some.

Durgan
    Durgan

Post by Durgan Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:12 pm

oceanna wrote:That looks so good Durgan!
    If I lived closer I'd order some.

I got producing fruit leather down to a science. Some was sent to my daughter to test on her two young children.
    Durgan
    Durgan

Post by Durgan Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:34 pm

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?KAVHT 11 February 2012 Fruit Jerky.

Six 14 by 14 inch sheets of fruit jerky, (leather) was made to cost out the product. Each sheet was cut into edible pieces of 4.5 by 1.75 and the cost per small piece is 26 cents for the produce alone.

Produce used was; Frozen cranberries, apple, pears, carrot, orange, peach, pineapple, plum, squash, strawberry. Cost was $37.53.

The squash was cooked for five minutes in the microwave, and the other produce was used raw. All was beat in its own juice in the blender. This output was made homogeneous in a pot using a hand blender.

The slurry was placed on a flat sheet, sprayed with ascorbic acid one tablespoon in a litre of water to retain colour, and placed in the dehydrator, and operated for about 8 hours. The partially dried jeerky was then removed from the flat sheet, flipped over, and placed on the open screen to improve drying, and placed in the dehydrator for about another four hours. Sufficient drying was determined by testing periodically. The final product should be flexible, but dry, not brittle.

The large 14 by 14 inch sheet was cut into edible pieces about 4.5 by 1.75 inches and will be vacuum packed for long term storage.
    Durgan
    Durgan

Post by Durgan Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:24 pm

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?CKOAZ 17 February 2012
    Fruit leather (jerky) was made using the following:Frozen Cranberries $5.86 1 lb,,Bananas $1.98 2.5 lbs,Pear $2.77 2.33 lb,Buttercup squash $3.39 3.4 lb,California orange $2.15 3.16 lbs,Carrot $1.19 1.5 lbs, Yam $1.03 1.75 lb, Strawberry $1.39 1 lb,Apple $1.86 1.8 lb, Kiwi $2.09 7 medium size,Pineapple $1.99 ,Red plum $3.68 1.42 lb, Mango $2.04 1.38 lb. Total cost for seven 14 by 14 inch trays $31.42. About 175 pieces of 2 by 4 inch finished product. Cost per piece about 18 cents.

Each piece of produce was cut into small pieces and beat into a slurry in their own juices in a typical blender.The yam, squash, and carrot was cooked in microwave for five minutes prior to blending. The output was then made homogeneous in a large pot using a hand blender. The slurry was placed on sheets, and spread evenly, then sprayed with ascorbic acid solution to assist in the fruit retaining colour. Dehydrating takes about ten hours. After eight hours the slurry sheets will be turned over and placed on the open screens to facilitate complete drying. The end product should be flexible and dry, determined by testing periodically.The large sheets will be cut into pieces about 2 inches by 4 inches and vacuum sealed for long term storage at room temperature. Life time may be increased by refrigerating or freezing.

Processing produce in this manner makes a good method for consuming more and a larger variety of fruit and vegetables, since the small pieces make a fine nourishing snack.
    Durgan
    Durgan

Post by Durgan Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:29 pm

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ZACTY 23 February 2012 Fruit and Vegetable Leather

Annotated pictures depict the method of making six 14 by 14 inch trays of fruit leather. It appears a great method of increasing the consumption of fruit and vegetables, which is a desired aim.The end product is nutritional and palatable, and stores for long periods.
    Durgan
    Durgan

Post by Durgan Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:46 am

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?MMHXO 24 February 2012 Orange Leather.

Twenty naval oranges were made into fruit leather. Pictures depict the method. The oranges were peeled and blended into a slurry. Since oranges have much juice the slurry was simply placed in the middle of the sheets to prevent overflowing the edges. Each sheet was about 3 to 4 oranges. There was a total of six sheets for 20 oranges. Nothing was added, simply dehydrated which took about 14 hours at 63 C.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:38 am