Seniors Boomer Rumours

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Location Map

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics

» Poet's Corner
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 7:03 pm by daffyd

» Wuzfuz and his music
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyThu May 11, 2017 3:02 pm by Willows

» The world's Most Beautiful Horse
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptySat Mar 18, 2017 1:49 pm by Glad E Olah

» Loads of Laughs
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 6:32 pm by daffyd

» Gerraway!
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 6:05 pm by daffyd

» Daffyd's Video Shack
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyMon Aug 01, 2016 6:18 pm by daffyd

» Pompeii - Eruption of Mt Vesuvius
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyFri Mar 25, 2016 7:35 pm by daffyd

» About Religion.
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyThu Mar 24, 2016 8:19 pm by daffyd

» A Farmer of our time
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 6:53 pm by daffyd

» Our Sun is Beautiful
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 10:24 pm by islandgrl

» Spiced Beverage
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 12:00 am by islandgrl

» TEA BAGS
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 11:53 pm by islandgrl

» It's That Time Again
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 10:02 pm by islandgrl

» Thanksgiving Poem
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyThu Nov 26, 2015 11:15 am by Glad E Olah

» Guevedoces
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 1:27 pm by Glad E Olah

» DESIDERATA
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyTue Jul 14, 2015 5:57 pm by daffyd

» Ruby Shoes
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 1:41 am by islandgrl

» Insane
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 1:25 am by islandgrl

» Glad's 2015 Garden
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 10:28 pm by Glad E Olah

» Facts of which you are unaware!
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 7:17 pm by daffyd

» THE BACK NINE!
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 7:33 pm by daffyd

» Daffyd's Disco
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 7:05 pm by Windwalker

» Where Are They Now?
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 2:38 pm by Windwalker

» Ye Olde Photo Shoppe
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 2:36 pm by Windwalker

» Glass Totems
Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 12:08 am by islandgrl

4 posters

Definition: Hotlinking (Hot linking)

islandgrl
    islandgrl
    Admin

Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) Empty Definition: Hotlinking (Hot linking)

Post by islandgrl Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:21 pm

Today someone posted a link and when I clicked on it, it screamed at me in big red letters: STOP STEALING MY BANDWIDTH BY HOT LINKING TO MY IMAGES

That message prompted me to start doing some searching. I was amazed at what I found on the internet. It seems, to my surprise, that posting a link to almost everything (that isn't yours) is illegal. Even links to "your images"/pictures on an image hosting site is bandwidth theft from that site.

Definition of Hot Linking:

"Hotlinking" (also called "hot linking", "leeching", and "bandwidth theft") is a term referring to when a web page of one website owner is direct linking to the images or other multimedia files on the web host of another website owner (usually without permission, thus stealing bandwidth). This not only causes the other person to pay for the bandwidth of the hotlinked file, but often is intellectual property theft. The term is also used loosely (a misnomer) by free image hosts which allow you to store images on their server and allow you to direct link the hosted image files on forums or other websites (sometimes altering the image to have a watermark). One of the most common occurrences of "hot linking" is when people are forum posting and they hotlink pictures from another website to use as avatars or signature images on the messageboards (forums). Some disadvantages of hot linking worth considering are that the webpage generally loads slower when you link to images stored on a different web hosting server than the webpage is hosted on, and the owner of the image has full control to disable hotlinking, or delete, rename, or worse yet, do a "switcheroo" (i.e., switching the file name to be another image which is sure to cause the hotlinker embarrassment) of the hot-linked image. Common methods of preventing hotlinking are by using an .htaccess file, using the "Hotlink Protection" offered in control panels such as Cpanel, or simply renaming image files periodically.

Source: FreeWebhosts

No more links from this keyboard as this is just too scarey for me.
    oceanna
    oceanna

Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) Empty Re: Definition: Hotlinking (Hot linking)

Post by oceanna Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:07 pm

Is it okay to use avatars if it is stated that they are 'free'?

Glad E Olah
    Glad E Olah
    Admin

Definition:  Hotlinking (Hot linking) Empty Re: Definition: Hotlinking (Hot linking)

Post by Glad E Olah Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:11 pm

This is scary.

You don't know what you can post and what you cannot post in forums anymore.

islandgrl
    islandgrl
    Admin

Post by islandgrl Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:53 pm

oceanna wrote:Is it okay to use avatars if it is stated that they are 'free'?

Usually when they say it is free, they don't want you to direct link, so they tell you to right click and "Save as" to your computer. Why some sites want you to link back to them if it uses their bandwidth when others click on the link is a puzzle to me.

Giving credit and getting permission to use materials, is one way to protect yourself. After that, downloading the image to your computer, and then maybe uploading to your image host (I think) might be ok. I really don't know.
    oceanna
    oceanna

Post by oceanna Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:22 am

Thanks Islandgrl, I do find avatars that are listed as 'free' and then right click and save to my computer as instructed on the site. I sure hope it's okay.

Windwalker
    Windwalker

Post by Windwalker Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:03 am

Wish I had seen this earlier, but with the grandbaby being here I am behind. Sorry that article scared some of you. Hotlinking is a hard term to get used to. I hope I can help clear it up so you are comfortable using graphics you find.

Hotlinking means that a person came to "your" website and noticed an avatar, or a graphic posted in a topic. They think it would be neat to use in their post in "another" forum. So they just rightclick and save the link to the graphic and past the link in the post they made on another forum.

What this means is that every time someone views that post on the other forum, "your" image from your forum is being loaded on another site. If you are having to pay for how much bandwidth your forum uses, then every time someone reads the post on the other forum, it is really drawing the picture from your site costing you bandwidth. That is called hotlinking.

If a site says the Avatars are free, but no hotlinking, they are saying you may have them to use, just make sure you save them to "your" computer to upload to your Photobucket account. Photobucket is a company that DOES allow hotlinking. When you copy the link to your graphic and place that link in a forum post, you are hotlinking to that picture. Photobucket allows this.

Hope this helps some. Just always remember to save to "your" computer any graphic that you want to use later.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:41 pm