Seniors Boomer Rumours

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Location Map

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics

» Poet's Corner
Ficus EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 7:03 pm by daffyd

» Wuzfuz and his music
Ficus EmptyThu May 11, 2017 3:02 pm by Willows

» The world's Most Beautiful Horse
Ficus EmptySat Mar 18, 2017 1:49 pm by Glad E Olah

» Loads of Laughs
Ficus EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 6:32 pm by daffyd

» Gerraway!
Ficus EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 6:05 pm by daffyd

» Daffyd's Video Shack
Ficus EmptyMon Aug 01, 2016 6:18 pm by daffyd

» Pompeii - Eruption of Mt Vesuvius
Ficus EmptyFri Mar 25, 2016 7:35 pm by daffyd

» About Religion.
Ficus EmptyThu Mar 24, 2016 8:19 pm by daffyd

» A Farmer of our time
Ficus EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 6:53 pm by daffyd

» Our Sun is Beautiful
Ficus EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 10:24 pm by islandgrl

» Spiced Beverage
Ficus EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 12:00 am by islandgrl

» TEA BAGS
Ficus EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 11:53 pm by islandgrl

» It's That Time Again
Ficus EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 10:02 pm by islandgrl

» Thanksgiving Poem
Ficus EmptyThu Nov 26, 2015 11:15 am by Glad E Olah

» Guevedoces
Ficus EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 1:27 pm by Glad E Olah

» DESIDERATA
Ficus EmptyTue Jul 14, 2015 5:57 pm by daffyd

» Ruby Shoes
Ficus EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 1:41 am by islandgrl

» Insane
Ficus EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 1:25 am by islandgrl

» Glad's 2015 Garden
Ficus EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 10:28 pm by Glad E Olah

» Facts of which you are unaware!
Ficus EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 7:17 pm by daffyd

» THE BACK NINE!
Ficus EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 7:33 pm by daffyd

» Daffyd's Disco
Ficus EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 7:05 pm by Windwalker

» Where Are They Now?
Ficus EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 2:38 pm by Windwalker

» Ye Olde Photo Shoppe
Ficus EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 2:36 pm by Windwalker

» Glass Totems
Ficus EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 12:08 am by islandgrl

3 posters

Ficus

Willows
    Willows

Ficus Empty Ficus

Post by Willows Mon May 16, 2011 7:07 am

What the dickens do I do with my Ficus tree which has grown from a teeny-weeny plant of 6 or 7 inches (from about 1990) into a tree that is in competition with my apartment ceiling!

I love this plant of mine...but in the last year, it has been shedding "yellow" leaves and I'm picking several more off of it daily....in the past couple of months.

I "motherly" water it once a week...and fertilize...welllll.... I don't quite know when to.....and it's light is limited now because of my only window that it can be placed in.....

I am contemplating
    exposing it to the elements and then gathering it's yellow leaves to be composted in a recycling bin...and then using it's beautiful "twiggy" feature for vines to creep and crawl upon in my balcony garden!! Laughing

Should I send my Ficus to it's "neverland"....or should I attempt to preserve it's 20 year longevity?
    If so....tell me how! lol!
    islandgrl
    islandgrl
    Admin

Ficus Empty Re: Ficus

Post by islandgrl Mon May 16, 2011 11:46 pm

Willows, before you make plans for the twiggy branches I thought you might like to read this. We should get Durgan over here, he is a plant guru. Very Happy

LEAVES DROPPING -- Yellow and dropping leaves and buds at various levels on plants.

Can be caused by either over or under watering, shock due to sudden change of light or temperature, mealy bugs, spider mites or scale insects.

Change your watering procedure. Remove plant from drafts, and provide better lighting.
    Willows
    Willows

Post by Willows Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:49 am

Oh my......is my reply ever so ungraciously late!

Thanks Ig for your info. I'm sure that the problem was the soil that my ficus was planted into. It was a fairly heavy soil and so in the past week I repotted it in a lighter 2/3 organic and 1/3 reg. potting soil, and it seems to be happier. Lordy!!!...what a job that was!

Hmmmmm....might have to cut a hole in my ceiling if it gets too happy! Laughing
    islandgrl
    islandgrl
    Admin

Post by islandgrl Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:01 pm

Why not selectively prune it? Just take out some of the branches that are tall. But since you have just repotted it wait until it shows signs of doing well.
    Willows
    Willows

Post by Willows Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Thanks Ig! I might have to do that....but Ficus weeps a milky substance when a branch is injured or cut.....so the poor thing will have to cry all over a drop sheet...I guess. I'll wait and see what happens with it. Sure enough...I'll have a crop of fungas gnats soon with the organic soil that I repotted it in, but I'm armed with fungicidal soap and lots of yellow stickers! Laughing

Lordy....I simply cannot lift that pot down from the table that I lifted it up onto!
    It sits on a low table in front of my living room window along with many photos and chachkies! Come fall..I will have to rearrange that table to accomodate the plants that I bring in. Ouch...and YOY!!
    islandgrl
    islandgrl
    Admin

Post by islandgrl Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Are you sure it is a Fiscus. I thought they had hard branches that didn't ooze any sap. A suggestion for you Willows, if hydro bills is no concern for you you could invest in a flood light and move it somewhere else.
    Don't think I am bringing any plants in this year. I have enough already and they are inside keeping safe from insects, even though they would do a lot better outside.
    Good luck.
    Willows
    Willows

Post by Willows Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Yes Islandgrl....it is a Ficus and it does have hard tiggy branched, but it oozes a milky substance if cut or if a leaf is broken off and the sap is very difficult to remove from whereever it drips. The plant sits on a low table in front of my living room balcony doors which face east. The tip of the plant is about 18" from the ceiling. In my crowded living room, that is the only place that I can keep it.

It does seem to be doing better since I repotted it.

Thanks for your help Ig. Very Happy
    fargo
    fargo

Post by fargo Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:49 pm

Hi Willows:

Thank you for your comments in your last message in Pictures. I dare not take up any more space there so I moved over here to talk to you. I looked up ficus on the Internet and found a lot of good information. Is the plant that you have Ficus Benjamina- it has green leaves and is often seen in shops in the malls.

I am no expert on the care of this plant but by reviewing the cultural information on the (Net)you should be able to solve your problem. Are the leaves still turning yellow and falling?
    fargo
    Willows
    Willows

Post by Willows Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:58 am

Hi Fargo,

No...
    Since I repotted my Ficus plant (tree!!!) in new organic and well-drained soil...it is thriving and there is much new growth springing from it's branches. No more falling yellow leaves either!!...so now...my next problem is, that I may have to cut a hole in my ceiling and allow my Ficus to encroach into my upstairs neighbor's apartment!! Ooops2 Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:08 am