Seniors Boomer Rumours

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Location Map

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics

» Poet's Corner
Fascinators EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 7:03 pm by daffyd

» Wuzfuz and his music
Fascinators EmptyThu May 11, 2017 3:02 pm by Willows

» The world's Most Beautiful Horse
Fascinators EmptySat Mar 18, 2017 1:49 pm by Glad E Olah

» Loads of Laughs
Fascinators EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 6:32 pm by daffyd

» Gerraway!
Fascinators EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 6:05 pm by daffyd

» Daffyd's Video Shack
Fascinators EmptyMon Aug 01, 2016 6:18 pm by daffyd

» Pompeii - Eruption of Mt Vesuvius
Fascinators EmptyFri Mar 25, 2016 7:35 pm by daffyd

» About Religion.
Fascinators EmptyThu Mar 24, 2016 8:19 pm by daffyd

» A Farmer of our time
Fascinators EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 6:53 pm by daffyd

» Our Sun is Beautiful
Fascinators EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 10:24 pm by islandgrl

» Spiced Beverage
Fascinators EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 12:00 am by islandgrl

» TEA BAGS
Fascinators EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 11:53 pm by islandgrl

» It's That Time Again
Fascinators EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 10:02 pm by islandgrl

» Thanksgiving Poem
Fascinators EmptyThu Nov 26, 2015 11:15 am by Glad E Olah

» Guevedoces
Fascinators EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 1:27 pm by Glad E Olah

» DESIDERATA
Fascinators EmptyTue Jul 14, 2015 5:57 pm by daffyd

» Ruby Shoes
Fascinators EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 1:41 am by islandgrl

» Insane
Fascinators EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 1:25 am by islandgrl

» Glad's 2015 Garden
Fascinators EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 10:28 pm by Glad E Olah

» Facts of which you are unaware!
Fascinators EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 7:17 pm by daffyd

» THE BACK NINE!
Fascinators EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 7:33 pm by daffyd

» Daffyd's Disco
Fascinators EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 7:05 pm by Windwalker

» Where Are They Now?
Fascinators EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 2:38 pm by Windwalker

» Ye Olde Photo Shoppe
Fascinators EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 2:36 pm by Windwalker

» Glass Totems
Fascinators EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 12:08 am by islandgrl

2 posters

Fascinators

Willows
    Willows

Fascinators Empty Fascinators

Post by Willows Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:00 pm

Awwwww....."Fascinators"!!

Will they be the rage this year because of William and Kate's wedding?

This will explain "Fascinators"....
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here's how to create them....

And here's some examples of "Fascinators"!

Hmmmmm......fascinating!! Very Happy

Wellll....I've just been checking out the instructions on "how to make 'em"...and I'm not impressed!

Here's how I would do it......

If you have some sort of hat form....well you're on your way... but otherwise...

Starting with a headband...PLASTIC OR OTHER ...then adding a sort of oval or circular form to the band would get one going...but the band should be wrapped with ribbon or fabric...to allow your accessories to be hot-glued or sewn to it.

One could use anything...to establish the basic form! Hey....this is crafting!!...How about cutting out the base of a plastic container or one of those black microwaved TV dinner trays that you have just rinsed off!

Trim it to fit....then adhere fabric to it (add some batting to give it some cushioning...if you wish)... with fabric glue/ craft glue/ hot glue....be it ribbon...lining fabric or whatever....to cover the recycled item......but do conceal any rough edges in the process!. Cover the exterior first...and the add a shape of fabric to the inside to cover all of the raw edges. Here...you can glue on trim to conceal the seams. If you require a "spray" of feathers...etc......I would cover a mound of floral foam (the Sahara-type..because it is firmer than the Oasis-type)....repeating....I would cover the foam ..(but I would shape it to fit the form of the hairband).. with a silky "lining" fabric and adhere it to the head band with hot glue or by sewing it on.

(Without a base such as the foam....it would be difficult to arrange feathers..etc...in an upright and other positions)

Then I would begin to insert the accessories, but if your are inserting into the fabric...you will have to perforate the spot before you insert a feather or whatever. For a secure positioning...I would add a bit of glue to the end of whatever I am inserting. The most defining features of the "Fascinator" should be applied in this way. Other accessories..could be applied on the surface to surface method allowing them to make contact with one another.

Your first step....is to establish the shape or form of your Fascinator.....eg....the length and the width and the height. You'll do this with your most prominent accessories...eg...feathers...flower sprigs...beaded sprigs...etc....
    From what I've seen at the Royal Wedding......there seems to be no rule for this...but I personally would follow my floral arranging rule..but in opposition....and that is that the base of the arrangement (one's head)...should be 2/3rds to 1/2 of the height of the arrangement. So if you measure from chin to the top of your head...10 ".....allow the arrangement to extend upwards....1/3 x 10 = approx.3.5 inches or.....1/2 x10 = 5".
    Of course....some of these "Fascinators" are very extreme...so you have a wide range to choose from.
    As for width of the arrangement....well that depends on who's eye you might be responsible for taking out or who's view you might be blocking! LOL!!

Yeah!!
    I'm going to make a "Fascinator" for my granddaughter for her "dress-up" Tickle-Trunk. Laughing Friendly
    oceanna
    oceanna

Fascinators Empty Re: Fascinators

Post by oceanna Sun May 01, 2011 4:30 pm

Willows, I found all that quite fascinating. Laughing

I think rather than making one it would be easier to buy one, or tie a ribbon around a short stemed artificial flower and clip it in the hair.

I have to say some of them worn at the
    Royal wedding were very pretty.

flower

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:17 pm